Sunday 20 June 2010

timeseemstobeflying



well time seems to be flying – the last week saw me working extensively on the Moulsham street project – writing, designing and laying out the detailed plans for 245 interventions into the paving.
work at NUCA was focused on the final marks for the BA textile students and working with the students on the layout for the MA Textile Culture exhibition.
meanwhile the evenings and weekend has been full - the aldburgh festival is on – the highlight so far was a promenade performance titled The Way to the Sea - a homage to Britten’s On This Island, which included newly commissioned film and installations at various locations in Thorpeness. it prompted me to youtube one particular song – the water is wide – the most haunting version i found was by joan baez.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4pDTSKREvU&feature=related

The Water is Wide

The water is wide, I can-not cross o'er.
I Neither have thywings to fly.
Build me a boat that can carry two,
And both shall row, my true love and I.

A ship there is and she sails the seas.
She's laden deep, as deep can be;
But not so deep as the love I'm in
And I know not if I sink or swim.

I leaned my back up against a young oak
Thinking he were a trusty tree
but first he bended and then he broke
Thus did my love prove false to me.

O love is handsome and love is kind
and loves a jewel while it is new
but when its old love
it growth cold and fades away like the morning dew.
And fades away like the morning dew.

managed to get into London at the weekend and saw the students shows at Chelsea and Central St Martins – as ever the energy and possibilities seem endless and there seems hope if all these young people are now out in the world – thinking and being.
My friend laurence edwards has a show at Messums http://www.laurenceedwardssculpture.com/ which we popped into see- a very professional operation in Cork st. also managed to see the gormley at white cube and the book art element of the royal academy summer show.
this week sees the private view at NUCA and me at the Royal College working with the printmaking students on a 2 day book course – looking forward to it already.