Friday 26 January 2018

brainblowingaboutbrains


the synthetic anatomy project at Kings continues to blow my mind...today I have seen a video of an opera singer awake and actually singing whilst having a brain operation where they turned his ability to sing off with electric probes. I was moved to tears. This on top of engaging with medical software imaging that I is a fairly steep learning curve, holding a chicken foetus, learning that monkey brains are smoother, making sense of grey and white brain matter and the concept behind CAT scanning. Next it's engaging with the software that interfaces with the 3D printer whilst developing my understanding of anatomy by working with brain data sets. My session today was a mixture of the brutal delivery of atypical material in a unfamiliar context but tempered by amazing amounts of good natured engagement. I hope that the students can take some of the ideas on board and make use of the lateral thinking skills embedded within the workshop.